The University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS) , Bangalore was established through an Act (No. 22) by the then Mysore government in 1963. Although the university came into existence on August 21 1964, a journey into the broad-lands of history reveals it to be a much older institution. It would perhaps not be an exaggeration to say that the university was conceived way back in 1899 in the form of an experimental farm of 30 acres.
In fact today this very farm constitutes the Main Research Station of the university. Such were the humble beginnings that the university, as it stands today, is a tribute to the visionaries who founded it and those who nurtured it over the past several decades.
It has the following campuses
- College of Agriculture, Bangalore at GKVK
- College of Agriculture, Shimoga
- College of Agriculture, Mandya
- College of Agriculture, Hassan
- College of Forestry, Ponnampet
- College of Sericulture, Chintamani
- College of Basic Science and Humanities, Bangalore at GKVK
The university had two-degree programmes covering broadly agriculture and veterinary disciplines. Over the years, attempts have been made to diversify agricultural education by starting specialized undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes in various branches of agricultural sciences.
Presently the university offers nine-degree programmes covering Agriculture, Veterinary, Fisheries, Horticulture, Dairy Sciences, Agricultural Marketing and Co-operation, Forestry, Sericulture and Agriculture Engineering disciplines and Masters degree programmes in 47 disciplines and Ph.D. programmes in 34 disciplines.
The following Bachelors Degree are awarded:
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.Sc.(Ag.))
- Bachelor of Science in Sericulture Bachelor of Science in Horticulture (B.Sc.(Hort.))
- Bachelor in Technology in Dairy Technology (B.Tech.(D.T.))
- Bachelor of Science in Forestry Bachelor of Science in Home Sciences Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Marketing and Co-operation. (Agril. Maco)